Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Miracle and Killer Jr.'s chicks



When I visited one of the ballfields today, I saw a killdeer doing a broken wing act.  I thought it would be strange for Pollux to be doing a broken wing act when his chicks were full grown.  But, it wasn't Pollux, I think it was Miracle!


I didn't see any chicks when I first passed through, probably because the sprinklers were going.  But, I could hear her "talking" to them.  Later, when I came back, I found two little chicks and dad was "patrolling" an area near some brush, so I think there was at least one or two more in there.  They were so tiny!  In the distance, they look like little balls of fluff:



Here is mom with the two chicks.  The gate was locked, so I couldn't get into the field.  Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to get a great shot because all the birds would have scattered and hid.



I think I saw a boy and a girl chick, but I'm not sure as I couldn't get too close:




In other news, that cute young duck was seen being cute and friendly:



Bossy Mama is down to her last duckling, now about 8 days old:


I still only see one coot chick from the three that I saw earlier.  There was a big turtle nearby, too:


These two coot chicks from the other side of the lake are growing very fast.


I also got a photo of a Clark's grebe.  There were several Clark's grebe and some western grebes there today.


The two brown pelicans are still there.  Fish Food Mama still has her five ducklings.  No sign of the eight ducklings I saw a few days ago.  Hurt wing is still limping very badly, but alive and hungry!  The two sister ducks are also doing well.  I think Neo is doing fine, too, but he is blending in with the other drakes going through eclipse, so I can't pick him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment