Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A new killdeer nest


Junior

Well, I thought Junior already had chicks, but, no.  I finally found his nest and it was right by where everyone walks.  No wonder why they were getting so excited when I walked that way.

Junior's mate warns me not to step on the nest (which, at that time, I couldn't see):



Here is the nest.  I'm not going to divulge its location, but, fortunately, I can observe it without having to get too close to it.


When I left, both Junior and his mate made extra sure that I was really leaving and followed me:


Squeak and Pollux were seen with their two, almost grown, chicks.  But, I think Squeak quickly left, possibly to attend the third chick in another location.

Everyone's having babies.  Here are the two heron babies.  I don't know where there parents are.  I think they're going to fledge within the next week or two:


The male and female osprey are in the nest, but the male won't share the fish he caught.



The five ducklings are still five, but one I think one might not be feeling very well.  Also, one duckling was being extremely disobedient and got a verbal thrashing from mom.  They are getting pretty good feathers now.  I did not see them later.  


Peep, peep, peep, peep!


I think this is Indy:



Neo is going through a big growth spurt.  When I first saw him, I thought he was a small female adult duck:


Unfortunately, my camera battery died, so I couldn't get the comparison shot of the two older ducklings that are feathered out about the same amount.   I also didn't see the mom of one or the mom of two today, either.

Hatchling coot with parent:


Feeding the baby algae:


 I still haven't found out what happened to the male gadwall, but I think he might have been the coyote victim as most of the other ducks have been accounted for.  However, his favorite female is also missing, so he may have just flown off.  Another duck that is missing is Quacker, the flying Cayuga duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment