Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Friday, May 24, 2013

Chocked full of ducklings

Awww
 Today, I saw a new mom with three very tiny ducklings.


 Mom was very nervous because there was a red-shouldered hawk flying around, watching her.  Her ducklings were very obedient to her calls.




I haven't figured out who the mom is, she might be new.  But, she looks familiar (Update:  I *think* it's Sweetie, Fish Food Mama's daughter.  She knows all about red-shouldered hawks):




Canal Mama with her four ducklings:



Butterscotch with her three ducklings:



Here are five of the ten half-grown ducklings who might be from Fish Food Mama (but, I'm still not sure):



This one came up to me like Indy did:



She was very protective and kept threatening me even when I wasn't very close:



Giving me a "dirty look":


Still protecting:

I saw a pair of black-crowned night herons:


The blue heron was really close to the tiny ducklings.  He stole this fish from a gull:


Here is the disappointed gull:


Later, someone said she saw 12 small ducklings near the first three I saw at the same time I was there, but I didn't see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment