Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Baby ducky update: :D


Canal Mama with your four ducklings:



I also saw Butterscotch with only three ducklings now.  But, they're almost as big as her and are fully feathered except for their wings.  In about two weeks, they should be ready to fly.


I got a good report on Fish Food Mama because she took her ten ducklings to the boat docks, but by the time I got there, she was gone, so I didn't get any photos.  I could hear peeping in some reeds sorta in that area, but they sounded like hatchlings and not half-grown ducklings.

You can tell it's getting close to the end of breeding season when you see the females healing.  Bumblefoot is already starting to look better (and, yes, she looks better because before she looked awful).




You can see that some of her feathers are beginning to grow back on her neck and her scabs are healing:



Papa heron was hunting squirrels and was dead serious about catching some.  His mate was over where I heard the ducklings peeping, but not too close.  I heard they ate a lot of ducklings a few weeks ago right in front of people on the other side of the lake.  Their three chicks are also fledging.  It's not a good time to be a young duckling in that area at this time.  But, I think Fish Food Mama's ducklings might be a little too big for them (or harder to catch).


No comments:

Post a Comment