Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

It's Ducky Time! (and a killdeer)


The ducks are doing well.  The photo above is of mostly domestic ducks such as the Snowies and the crested runner as well as the Snowie's sons.

This photo is of the two buff sisters dumped off recently.



Here's a photo of Bigboi, the Cayuga and Pepper's dad.  He's lived longer than any other dumped duck that I've ever known.  He's been there at least 3.5 to 4 years, perhaps longer.  I estimate his age to be around 4.5 to 5 years old, which is pretty good for a domestic duck living out in the wild, especially one that can't fly and is missing half of a foot.



Bigboi loves the new Cayuga girl dumped off with the buff at the top of the photo.  Unfortunately, non-flying domestic females don't live that long with so many males and I am trying not to get attached to this lovely, sweet girl.



I saw my first lesser scaup this year:



Ruddy ducks are doing well.  Several of the males still have a lot of their breeding plumage with white cheeks.  I think this is a male that has lost most of his breeding colors, but still has semi-bright cheeks.



And, finally, a noisy killdeer who was kill-deeting and flying around claiming territory.  He was a bit afraid of me, so I think he was new.


No comments:

Post a Comment