Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Friday, August 9, 2013

Visit to Lindo Lake Park



Today, I went to San Diego's only natural lake, Lindo Lake, to look at the greater white-fronted goose that has been living there, year-round, for some time.  It wasn't hard to find her.  No one knows where she came from, but she's got a good thing living there, so she's staying for now.  Normally, at this time of year, they are just leaving the arctic to travel south and sometimes pass through the mountains in the area.



There were also a couple other surprises such as this baby common gallinule.  He passed right by a turtle who was, apparently, not very hungry (or could have been dead).



The first thing I saw when I got there was stilts.  Lots of stilts:




And, the killdeer were there, too, as one can see in this photo with stilt on the left, killdeer on the right:



Another killdeer.  There were many of them there.  Makes me wonder what's up at Lake Murray when there's so many killdeer here and so few over there:



I also saw a number of phalaropes, too.




A lone juvenile American white pelican:



And, lots of mallards. But, I didn't see any coots.


No comments:

Post a Comment