Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

RIP Disappearing Ducklings

Sadly, one of the black crowned night herons found the ducklings and even grabbed one right in front of me. He just wouldn't go away. So, ducklings have been disappearing all morning. Soon, there will be none. That's why I like to get out there as much as possible to photograph them.

Peaches had abandoned her ducklings for over 20 minutes and I was watching them when I saw the heron. I couldn't get him to leave.

The last photo of all four together taken about five minutes before the heron got one of them.


This is the heron actually stalking the ducklings before he grabbed one right in front of me:




The final three. Squinty Eye is the one on the right:


The last 2:

One of the last ducklings:


The smallest duckling:



The final 2 after they were, again, abandoned for over 20 minutes:


The six from the other mother this morning:



There were five when I saw them later, but then they were going around the reeds and disappeared. I saw a cormorant in the area, but I didn't see him do anything. When the ducklings reappeared, there were only four left.

The heron stalking the final five ducklings of the other mother:


The four remaining after I left. This mother, however, has been more attentive and has even been fighting off the heron:


Also seen at the lake were these doves who were watching the last five ducklings with me:


Squeaky's mallard boyfriend still hangs out with the other male Pekins even though Squeaky is gone:


The goslings:

No comments:

Post a Comment