Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Sunday, June 29, 2014

A new wave of ducklings


There seems to be a wave of ducklings going on right now at Lake Murray.  I think the cooler, less dry weather has helped with nesting.  Better late than never.  It will be interesting to see if we have more late hatching ducklings this year.

I found this mother with 8 hatchlings all scattered around very early in the morning:



Here she is when there was more light out.



These three ducklings were without a mother, but didn't seem worried.  They just continued on feeding.  I could hear mom quacking from far away.



There she is!  She flew back and they all swam up to her:



Little troublemaker and his six siblings are still around.  He's grown a bit and is more than half feathered:



Here's his mom and two of his siblings (a third was under water):



The nervous mama was down to four ducklings, but they sure were cute.  She was nervous of me at first:



One duckling really like his mom:



But, decided I was OK enough to come up to me:



Here she is with three of them, one was hiding behind her:




Here is the one:





Some good news!  Big Sissy was seen very early this morning feeding with Little Sissy and Runner Duck:


Then, as soon as it was light, she went back into hiding:




No comments:

Post a Comment