Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Counting Day

Today was my monthly counting day at Lake Murray.  I saw some new types of birds today.

One bird I saw was a canvasback.  I think it's been years since I've seen one there.


I saw this hummingbird acting very different than all the Anna's hummingbirds in the area.  Instead of singing and fighting, she basically scolded everyone and chirped aggressively.  I thought maybe it was a Costa's as they are seen from time to time in the area, so I took a photo to make sure.  But, when I got home, I noticed that the undersides were a pale orange.  I think it's a calliope hummingbird, but it's a little too big.  It's possibly a Allen's or rufous hummingbird.



Here are the last of the gadwalls this year.


Coot fight!



Pepper ran up to me as soon as I called him and posed for his picture.


Quacker was standing on an overturned boat at the dock, but was nowhere to be seen later on.


I found 15 vultures all around where I last saw Spoonface (Bossy).  I think they just like that spot and weren't there because anything was dead.



No comments:

Post a Comment