Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Monday, November 18, 2013

Hooded merganser at Lake Murray and other birds



I arrived at Lake Murray before sunrise, but there was a full moon, so it wasn't too dark:



I saw this weird gull.  It wasn't that big, but I think it might be a western gull.  Those are the most common gulls around the lake right now.  But, someone's been spotting a glaucous-winged gull which I can't find.



I've noticed that the scaups and ruddy ducks are hanging out closer to shore lately.  I think it was because there were so many on the lake.  The numbers seem to have gone down a little:



Beautiful male American wigeon:




Here are two of them:




Wait, what was that thing with the crested red head behind them?



It's a female hooded merganser!



It's the first time I've seen one there, though they have been spotted at other lakes in the area:



I'd like to mention that Baby Blue has been walking around with an enlarged crop.  I hope it's not the beginning of an impacted crop.  It seems soft and flexible, so it might not be impacted.  I think he's going over across the lake and pigging out on someone's bread before he comes back to where I usually see him.  It seemed better this morning, but still worrisome:


No comments:

Post a Comment