Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Friday, April 15, 2011

The M6 dad builds a nest!

Just an update on the killdeer nests as I didn't have my camera, so I didn't take any photos. Digger and Shy's parents started their own nest not 30 feet from their daughter's. It's actually in a better spot and has a better chance of surviving. This is especially true since they know how to defend it against threats. Already the dad is giving the squirrels the evil eye.

The last egg from Shy's nest is gone leaving only one smashed egg. The crows were all over the place this morning along with the blackbirds. But, none were in the area where the nest was or near their parents' nests. Shy and her mate are already making new nest scrapes, but in another really bad spot. I guess it's trial and error when it comes to raising a brood successfully with killdeers.

This is also day 12 of Tom the muscovy's absence. I don't think I will see him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment