Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Monday, May 17, 2010

House Finch on My Antenna

When I first moved into my building, there was a huge ficus tree in the courtyard that all the sparrows used to nest and live in. Then, it was cut down due to the fact that it was ruining the plumbing and affecting the elevator in the building. Since then, I have noticed that the sparrows have pretty much moved on, not only in this building, but the whole neighborhoods. Instead, the house finches have taken over.

During the last few years, I have really begun to notice their song, especially in the morning. Just recently, I found one really loud male who likes to sing on top of my building's TV antenna. I hear his song every morning and during the day. I think I've seen him try to show prospective females some nesting spots inside the building or in the trees behind the building.

He is singing right now as I write this. This is what he looks like from my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment