Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Goldfinches Everywhere!

I went out to the mission dam area of Mission Trails Regional Park yesterday and I found a spot along the riverbed that had lots and lots of goldfinches flying all around. I even saw several down at the creek drinking all at once. Not just American goldfinches, but lesser goldfinches, too. Here is a picture of a lesser goldfinch that I got from Wikipedia commons and Attis1979:

Here is the area of the park where I saw all the finches:


I also saw at least one black phoebe and I think I saw a Say's Phoebe, too, but I'm not sure. Here is a photo of it:

I saw a similar bird at SDSU. Both had yellow bellies underneath, especially near the tail. It also lifts up it's head feathers in a similar fashion as the black phoebe. But, I think it might be too brown to be a Say's Phoebe unless it was immature. It may be something like a vermilion flycatcher or some other bird in the flycatcher family.

On the way back to my car, I saw a man photographing this phainopepla nest with chicks in it. I got to see the parents feeding them. Very cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment