Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Faking killdeer

I was working at the least tern management site at Mariner's Point in Mission Bay and there was a killdeer acting like he was sitting on a nest.  I thought it was a female, at first, but now think he's an old male.  I didn't have my camera ready when he suddenly did a broken wing act.

In the end, there were no nests anywhere near where he was and he ended up flying away after an hour or two.




Sitting on his fake nest, watching everyone:


Then, getting up and looking around, trilling sometimes:



Other killdeer watched from a distance:




There was a willet, too:




We were pulling fillaree away from the endangered Nuttall's lotus.  Here's a complete lotus plant:



It's called a lotus because of these flowers:


No comments:

Post a Comment