Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Del Mar Fair

I assure you, there will be birds in this post.  :)

I went to the Del Mar Fair today (actually, it's called the San Diego County Fair).

But, first, I started with the horse show.  I really liked this horse, he seemed so relaxed.  Unfortunately, I think he had problems with listening to commands and they got last place.


This lady and her horse got first place:



I then visited the chicken pens and saw this perfect bantam rooster:



This year, there were ducks!  This is a beautiful Cayuga duck, but he was a bit stressed out:


There were also three call ducks that were fairly relaxed:





Then, it was on to the butterfly tent:





In the nearby lagoon, there were lots of ducklings.  Amazingly, they were growing up relaxed.  I guess the gulls and herons in the area really haven't put a lot of pressure on them in this spot:




This mother duck seemed to be co-parenting with another female, perhaps her mother or sister:


A mom and an older duckling:


And, there were black necked stilt:



He had a family with a little chick (and a killdeer for company).  Actually, they had two chicks:


Hiding from me:


Visiting dad:

The killdeer had her own nest, too, with three eggs:



There was another nest in an area with the ducklings:




There was also a ruddy duck in breeding colors, but he wasn't too keen on me taking his picture:


There was also another killdeer nest (or chicks) and I think an avocet nest.  Boy, those killdeer did NOT like that avocet, though I don't think the avocet is a threat except that it would chase any chicks away from its nest (which it might have been doing when I saw the killdeer have a fit while it was walking around the area).

No comments:

Post a Comment