Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Monday, April 27, 2020

The Lake Is Reopening Soon

Lake Murray has been closed and blocked off to exercisers due to the COVID-19 pandemic. While there have been a few people who have broken past the barriers, it means that the domestic ducks likely haven't been fed for a while. I got one report that some of the ducks have begun to die off because they haven't been fed. From Baltimore Drive,  I've been checking on the three white ducks and notice that there are now two of them. I will try to go in by the end of this week to see how many domestic ducks are left.

One wild duck that people are concerned about is Broken Bill with the smashed up bill. Last time I saw him, though,  he seemed to be OK, fairly robust, and hanging out with the other wild ducks. I think he may have been foraging on his own with natural food. I took this picture of him last October.


On the positive side, the lack of people meant less harassment of the nesting Canada geese. They've sure been quiet. Last week,  I think I saw a mama duck with a brood of ducklings, too. I hope to see more of them, plus the goslings, later this week or whenever the lake opens back up. Last I've heard it wasn't going to open up until May 1st, but that could be pushed back.

No comments:

Post a Comment