Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Birdy update


Not a whole lot going on bird-wise.  I got a close up of this wood duck whom I think is Doodle's Son (the one whom I called Doodle's Placekeeper).  He looks like his dad after his last breeding season.  I'm betting this guy is now "retired" and may not be breeding anymore.  We shall see if he gets his colors back next year.  Usually, when they get scruffy like this, they're near the end of their lives.  Doodle lived over a year in his scruffy phase.  He appears healthy otherwise.


The Canada goslings say "hello".


Troublemaker is still under-grown and fuzzy on his back.  But, he is showing some growth.  Here he is next to his mom:


He might not be a Brewer's duck because he's getting blue speculum feathers.  But, he still looks different from a regular mallard:


He still has a lot of white on his belly:


I love watching the terns doing courtship.  Here, a female is waiting for her male to bring her something to eat.  I also saw a juvenile Forster's tern:


I couldn't identify these, at first, but they're cowbirds.


I saw a California gnatcatcher family, but only the mom let me take a photo of her:


The domestic ducks seem to be mostly fine, though I think something is going on with the Pekins.  I think we might be missing a couple of them.  It's been hot and this breed of ducks don't do so well in hot weather.

1 comment:

  1. I've been enjoying watching the terns dive for tasty fish.

    ReplyDelete