Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Killdeer are back and other birds



The killdeers have begun to make their appearance again.  However, I don't know who, exactly, these guys are.  I'm thinking they're the Beautiful Dad or Shy's offspring as they look real young.  These next two look a little like Pollux and his son:


There were three other killdeer there, too, but I can't identify them:


Another youngster:



In George's territory, an adult male patrols a certain spot.  I don't recognize him.  He appears to be mature and almost looks like a fat version of George:


I think this might be Smudge and her young companion, but I'm not sure.


Running:


They headed over where the single male is and Smudge's boyfriend chased off the single male:



But, Smudge disappeared, so he looked all over for her.  I have no idea where she went.



I'm not sure, but this might be Ducky or Ducky's girlfriend's brother.  He's been fighting, I see:



Bigboi and the other domestics were found in a weird spot near these reeds away from shore.  I've never seen them there, ever.  It could be because the predators are more active and it's been cold.


Hiding in the reeds.  The buff was there, too, but was out of the frame:



The nine dumped ducks are doing OK for now.



Oreo is just not himself and is just wandering around aimlessly even though Cinnamon and her males have accepted him into their group.  All he wants to do is honk-whistle and do courtship behaviors and contests with the other males. Cinnamon's boyfriends have no reason to do courtship behaviors with him as they all already know their ranking with her and know who her #1 male is.

There is a male mallard that likes to play with him, but doesn't follow him around like Aflac did. So, Oreo just swims around by himself looking for males who will play his game.  I don't recall him being like that with Aflac or doing courtship behaviors with him like this.



Here are a couple of yellow-rumped warbler pictures:




And a common yellowthroat.  This little guy just kept following me around.  He wouldn't give up and went everywhere I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment