Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Eggs and killdeer


This male killdeer, possibly one of George's sons from last year, seems upset or excited that Miracle is in his spot. 


He's taken over a spot in Junior's territory.  You can see Miracle in the background.



I think this is his (and Squeak's) sister:



Killer Jr. and Miracle went back across the lake.  Here is Killer Jr. He got fishing line in his mouth, but got it out:



Miracle likes to stay near the reeds:


Meanwhile, I think these are Squeak's and Pollux's eggs.  I'm not going to mention where they are except that there is a fence nearby.


This next picture is of an odd sparrow.  It was hanging out with the white-crowned sparrow, but I think it's a chipping sparrow with very light markings.  It's dark bill, notched tail, and darker legs rule out white-chinned and black-chinned sparrow.  You can barely see the face markings:



The osprey are active on their nests.  One of them just brought a really long, wet rope to add to it.  I hope things don't dangle out any longer or the nest will be electrocuted by the high-voltage wires.  Also, I hope they don't eat any of the ducklings soon to hatch.


I thought this male great egret was beautiful!  I originally thought it was a snowy egret, but it's not:



Sorry this next photo is fuzzy.  It's Caramel sitting on her nest in a secret area.  The only thing is that if a predator were to find her, she would be trapped as there was only one way in or out of this spot:



The ring necked duck is still here along with a few lesser scaups:



Also seen today, Fred the yellowlegs and Bob2 the spotted sandpiper.  Junior the killdeer was seen, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment