Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Ducklings still being seen


Here is another duckling update at Lake Murray. Even though it is late in the season and many ducks are already molting and even migrating, there are still ducklings being hatched. Here are some updates.

Uneaten Ducklings:

The two "uneaten ducklings" were doing quite well and were growing fast and healthy.


Unfortunately, something happened to one of them soon after this next picture was taken. The one in the front went missing. It's unusual to lose them when they reach this age of about three weeks old.


Here he is with his mother who was swimming quickly away from something.


This last duckling was named Uno II:


Growing feathers:


These next two pictures were taken today. Uno II is nearly a month old now. He's more than half feathered.


He's the same age as those two older ducklings when they left their mother.


Speaking of the older ducklings, I haven't been photographing them that much. Both ducklings are completely grown now and flying. Now, it looks like the smaller duckling might be a boy, too.

Smaller duckling

Big Brother

Last week, several new broods were seen. A mother duck had nine ducklings and took them through the "gull gauntlet" without losing any that day.





A few days later, there were only three left. After that, I didn't see them at all.


Another mom had two ducklings in another area, one of which was acting a big strange. I thought maybe he was having seizures.


Mom didn't like this young pied-billed grebe swimming around near her babies. I've never seen a grebe actually grab a duckling, but they are certainly capable of it. Mostly, I see them with small fish and crayfish.


A couple days later, the duckling that looked like he was having seizures was perfectly fine.


Here is the other duckling. After that day, I didn't see them anymore.


Another mom had seven ducklings in the same area. I didn't see her when she had seven, but I saw her with five a few days later.


Then, she had only four. Here are two of them:


Here are the other two. I didn't see them a few days later.


Sissy, who has been missing along with her sister, Pumpkin, surprised me today with three big ducklings.





Pumpkin has been missing for over six weeks, but that's not unusual for her this time of year. I hope she's OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment