Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Friday, December 12, 2014

San Diego Shorebird Survey for Point Blue

It's that time of year again and it was time to count shorebirds around Coronado Bay for Point Blue Conservation Science.  Luckily, we were able to do it yesterday because it's really rainy and windy today, so it would have been very hard to do.

Here are some photos. I didn't see many shorebirds, but there were a few.

The day started out with marbled godwits.


Those two in the photo above later flew off to a grassy area of the park, but left after people with dogs started walking by.


Another marbled godwit with a willet:


A different willet nearby:


This willet was dodging a whisky bottle in the surf:


I think this willet didn't feel well:


This spotted sandpiper was really aggravated with me and kept running away.  I told her I wanted to take her picture and she decided I was alright and started posing for me:


Flock of marbled godwits and willets:


There were lots of other birds in the water including surf scoters:


And, lesser scaup:


There were also some royal terns laying around until I got too close for their comfort and they flew off.

No comments:

Post a Comment