Hello! Most of my posts take place around San Diego County, (Mostly Lake Murray) unless otherwise noted.
For more posts and photos, I also post on Hubpages, a site that is a bit different than others. Thanks!: Shorebirdie on Hubpages

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Shorebird Counting Day

Today is the day where, once a year, Point Blue Bird Observatory counts all the shorebirds around San Diego Bay at the same time. I was assigned the Coronado Island area.

My day started out with a curlew, though with her head tucked in, she looked just like a marbled godwit:



There were a couple of short-billed dowitchers with her:



The other two in the group were marbled godwits for sure because at least one of them pulled their head out and I could see the long, pointed bill:




This kingfisher was spotted with a fish and she dropped it when she saw me coming.  Then, she sat on this light pole hoping I would leave so she could go back and get her fish:



There were a whole lot of shorebirds in that spot:



Close-up of a willet and two godwits:



Look at that middle godwit and how he puts his toes up when he walks across the rocks:


I went to another area and people were chasing the birds!  Oh no!  I asked them to stop and they did, but it was definitely an awkward and uncomfortable moment there for a few minutes.  All the birds came back, I think.  I'm glad because there were a whole lot of them:



And, a sanderling was with them, too:



Some of the godwits were having a disagreement, plus the tide was going up:



And, here is the sanderling again:



There were two spotted sandpipers there today.  I saw this one who might be a juvenile:



Oops, water going over his feet:

Oh no!  My feet are getting wet!

In other bird news, there were plenty of surf scoters around:



This one was showing off and following me around:



And buffleheads.  Lots of buffleheads and coots:


No comments:

Post a Comment